News & Events
Job Posting: Communications Intern
STAR Communities is hiring: We’re seeking a Communications Intern to support our Community Engagement Team!
STAR Communities is currently seeking a Communications Intern to work with the organization’s community engagement team. Our community engagement team consists of sustainability specialists that provide support to cities, towns and counties engaged in the STAR Community Rating System.
STAR Communities helps cities and counties achieve meaningful sustainability through the first national framework for local community efforts. Incorporated in Washington, DC, our mission is to advance a national framework for sustainable communities through the delivery of standards and tools built by and for local governments and the communities they serve. Our vision is to lead a North American movement that empowers communities to chart a clear path toward a sustainable future.
POSITION: Communications Intern
LOCATION: Washington, DC Metro Region
GRADE: Internship (Paid)
TERM: Temporary, summer term approx. 12-15 weeks
The Communications Intern is responsible for providing general communications, marketing and outreach support to STAR Communities. The intern will support PR and marketing campaigns, technical and creative writing associated with our engagement with Certified STAR Communities and Leadership STAR Communities, as well as outreach materials for our Participating and Reporting STAR Community programs. Position reports to the Program & Outreach Coordinator.
Specific duties include:
- Contribute content to case studies, reports and toolkits, online newsletters, website, blogs and other related information resources and social media
- Conduct interviews and perform research to develop new content regarding community engagement with the STAR Community Rating System
- Help manage external partnerships and networks of local government subscribers
- Help maintain web content and social media
- Provide meeting planning support, including in-person workshops, webinars, and meetings
- Provide general communications support and other related duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience:
Graduate level intern studying PR, Marketing, Communications, Business or Public Administration, or related field preferred; knowledge of local government and sustainability issues and strategies preferred; excellent writing, communication and social media skills; team player; ability to interact effectively and collaboratively with government officials and all levels of STAR Communities staff.
Application deadline for priority consideration is May 15, 2014
To apply, submit a resume and writing sample to:
STAR Communities, Subject line: Communications Intern search
No calls please