The Leadership STAR Community Program is a one-year all-inclusive package that provides extensive staff support and services to a cohort of communities as they work through the STAR Community Rating System measuring local sustainability and pursuing certification. Communities with high enough scores receive a certified STAR Community Rating and are nationally recognized for their leadership in sustainability.
In the past two years, 66 cities and counties have participated in the Leadership Program. To date, 20 have achieved STAR certification with another 15-18 expected to certify by early summer 2015. Participating communities report that this process helped them gain a deep understanding of their community’s strengths and needs and has provided a springboard for civic engagement, cross-agency coordination, integrated budgeting and performance management, partnerships with philanthropy, and economic development.
- Travel and lodging for two team members to attend a two-day orientation workshop;
- A dedicated STAR coordinator throughout the year;
- Ongoing educational programs and networking opportunities with other Leadership communities;
- A copy of the Technical Guide to the STAR Community Rating System;
- Access to STAR’s customized online Reporting Tool to store and track sustainability data;
- Access to STAR’s on-call content experts and advisers;
- STAR PR media services to assist in local storytelling;
- Verification of the community’s submission to receive an official STAR certification; and
- Recognition as a national sustainability leader.
Cost & Scholarships:
The cost of this one-year program is $7,500. In coordination with The Funders’ Network for Smart Growth and Livable Communities (TFN), STAR Communities will offer a limited number of scholarships are available to communities that demonstrate need and a willingness to collaborate with local, place-based foundations.
Application Dates & Details:
STAR is currently accepting applications for the Fall 2015 program, tentatively scheduled to run from October 1, 2015 through September 3oth, 2016. Applications should be submitted via email to info@STARcommunities.org.
If you have questions, please email info@STARcommunities.org.