Application period: December 1, 2014 – January 16, 2015
The Leadership STAR Community Program provides extensive staff support and services to a cohort of communities as they work through the STAR Community Rating System measuring local sustainability. Communities with high enough scores receive a certified STAR Community Rating and are nationally recognized for their leadership in sustainability.
In the past two years, 58 cities and counties have participated in the Leadership Program. To date, 20 have achieved STAR certification with another 15-18 expected to certify this winter. Participating communities report that this process helped them gain a deep understanding of their community’s strengths and needs and has provided a springboard for civic engagement, cross-agency coordination, integrated budgeting and performance management, partnerships with philanthropy, and economic development.
- Travel and lodging for two team members to attend a two-day orientation workshop;
- A dedicated STAR coordinator throughout the year;
- Ongoing educational programs and networking opportunities with other Leadership communities;
- A copy of the Technical Guide to the STAR Community Rating System;
- Access to STAR’s customized online Reporting Tool to store and track sustainability data;
- Access to STAR’s on-call content experts and advisers;
- STAR PR media services to assist in local storytelling;
- Verification of the community’s submission to receive an official STAR certification; and
- Recognition as a national sustainability leader.
Cost & Scholarships:
The cost of this one-year program is $7,500. In coordination with The Funders’ Network for Smart Growth and Livable Communities (TFN), STAR Communities will offer a limited number of scholarships are available to communities that demonstrate need and a willingness to collaborate with local, place-based foundations.
Application Dates & Details:
Due to its popularity, the 12-month Leadership Program is offered twice per year beginning on March 1 and September 1. It is expected that communities will apply for STAR certification by the end of the program.
STAR is currently accepting applications for the Spring 2015 program, which will run from March 1, 2015 through February 29, 2016. Applications should be submitted by January 16th, 2015 via email to info@STARcommunities.org.
If you have questions, please email info@STARcommunities.org.