The Leadership STAR Community Program is a one-year all-inclusive package that provides extensive staff support and services to a cohort of communities as they work through the STAR Community Rating System measuring local sustainability and pursuing certification.
The STAR Community Rating System (STAR) is the nation’s leading framework and certification program for evaluating the sustainability of U.S. communities. STAR provides a clear, data-driven approach to assessing social, economic, and environmental conditions; the STAR certification process helps to identify gaps and prioritize investment. The certification process can also serve as a catalyst for local action, transforming the way that communities come together to address sustainability.
In the past two years, 76 cities and counties have participated in the Leadership Program. To date, 51 have achieved certification with another 5-10 expected to certify this year. The Fall 2016 Program will be the 6th cohort of Leadership Communities.
Participating communities report that this process helped them gain a deep understanding of their community’s strengths and needs and has provided a springboard for civic engagement, cross-agency coordination, integrated budgeting and performance management, partnerships with philanthropy, and economic development.
- A 2-day in-person orientation workshop in September with other Leadership communities;
- A dedicated STAR Communities staff liaison throughout the year;
- One year of membership in the STAR network with STAR Member Community benefits;
- Ongoing educational programs and networking opportunities with other Leadership communities;
- A copy of the Technical Guide to the STAR Community Rating System;
- Access to STAR’s customized online Reporting Tool to store and track sustainability data;
- Access to STAR’s on-call technical content experts and advisers;
- Basic STAR PR media services to assist in local storytelling;
- Verification of the community’s submission to receive an official STAR certification, and;
- Recognition as a national sustainability leader.
Cost & Financial Assistance
The cost of the one-year program is $7,500 and begins September 1, 2016. Competitive scholarships will likely be available to communities that demonstrate need and strategic vision. It is expected that communities will apply for STAR certification by the end of the program on August 31, 2017. Communities with high enough scores receive a certified STAR Community Rating and are nationally recognized for their leadership during the program year.
Application Dates & Details
The next Leadership Program will run from September 2016-August 2017. Download the application here: Fall 2016 Leadership Program Application.
For more information, download the Spring 2016 Leadership Program Info Packet.
Applications should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 1st, 2016 for priority consideration for financial assistance. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis through July 15th, 2016.
For More Information
STAR Communities encourages local governments that are considering applying for the Leadership Program to schedule an informal conversation to discuss your goals and ask questions about the program. Please email Lacey Shaver, Leadership Program Manager, at lacey@STARcommunities.org with questions or to set up a call.