The STAR Community Rating System was built by and for local governments and the communities they serve. Download the FREE rating system here. STAR Communities has developed a variety of publications, online tools, educational resources, and support services to accompany the rating system.
Examples include the rating system's Technical Guide that provides methodology, data
sources, submittal requirements, and other resources for communities interested
in measuring local sustainability. A custom-built online Reporting Tool helps communities gather, organize, and present information required for STAR certification.
To effectively “Get Started” it is recommended that local governments register for one of three annual subscription packages. The subscriptions include packages of products and services tailored to meet the needs of local governments coordinating sustainability efforts. You can review the subscription packages here.
How to Get Started:
- Learn about the Rating System by downloading the free version, in order to become familiar with the framework and evaluation measures.
- Review the 3 subscription packages designed for local governments.
- Determine whether or not to pursue certification and then choose the package that best suits your needs.
- Register online and submit payment.
- Start receiving benefits (services, tools, publications, etc.) day of payment.*
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE?
The STAR Community Rating System was designed for use by local (town, city, county) governments. While partnerships are encouraged, the governmental entity is the approved primary applicant in the STAR Community Rating System and Reporting Tool. Local governments access tools, publications and support via our subscription services. Other community partners, organizations, universities, consultants, and federal agencies can become STAR Affiliates to support STAR Communities' mission.
IS MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED?
Communities are not required to be members in any organization to participate in or implement the STAR Community Rating System. Our tools are available to local governments by subscription.