STAR certification is a huge accomplishment, but it’s only the beginning of a community’s STAR journey. The next step is to use your certification results to catalyze local action and transform your community.
Certification can serve as a springboard for civic engagement, cross-agency coordination, integrated budgeting and performance management, and more. Certified STAR Communities are using their certification results to:
- Celebrate progress with community partners and residents
- Engage employees and increase buy-in for sustainability work
- Brand local sustainability efforts and attract economic development activity
- Identify gaps and prioritize next steps
- Direct resources efficiently and effectively to the greatest areas of need
- Strengthen local plans, policies, and programs
- Integrate performance metrics into city and county budgeting
- Implement solutions and catalyze local action
STAR Communities can also help you to use your STAR Community Rating® to promote and enhance local sustainability efforts through marketing, implementation, and eventually, re-certification. We can also feature your work and share your successes with our national audience via conferences, publications, and webinars.
Results Reports & Analysis
After certification, get help from STAR Communities staff to take on priority areas identified through your STAR application. STAR program and technical staff can help you to develop reports and conduct analysis to guide your implementation work.
Certification Results Reports: Need help interpreting your results? Let STAR Communities staff kick off the gaps analysis process by creating a narrative report providing charts and graphics, comparisons of your progress to all other certified communities, and strengths and weaknesses in each STAR goal area.
Objective-level Implementation Reports: Did your final verification report reveal opportunities for improvement in a certain area? We can put together a custom report that dives into a subset of objectives and provides implementation recommendations and best practices based on how other communities have succeeded.
Custom STAR Workshops
A customized workshop brings together key staff and local partners to begin implementation of priority projects based on STAR analysis. Learn more in this blog post about a workshop that STAR held for Plano, TX.
STAR Facilitated Workshops: Want to bring government staff and community partners together to analyze your certification results and prioritize next steps? We have a range of presentations and hands-on exercises that can be tailored to meet the needs of groups of varying sizes. STAR Communities staff can develop the meeting design, materials, and provide facilitation for an in-person workshop.
Examples of topics that can be covered include:
- Understanding the national context for certification
- Viewing comparative results from similar communities
- Prioritizing gap actions identified through certification
- Understanding the relationship between actions and outcomes
- Identifying the actions that are most likely to drive change
- Integrating metrics from STAR into plans, reports, or budgets
- Diving more deeply into particular content areas
- Facilitated decision-making and consensus-building activities
STAR Supported Workshops: Like the workshop ideas above but able to provide your own facilitation? Let STAR staff do the behind-the-scenes prep work and develop a meeting design and materials for you to facilitate in your community.
Need assistance communicating your results to the community? We will work with you to create a custom package that meets your outreach and communications needs. Whether you need messaging documents, talking points, infographics, road signs, slide decks, or more, we can design and provide digital image files and/or help to arrange print jobs to help you get the word out.
You can mix and match elements from the above implementation, workshop, and PR offerings to develop a customized support package that meets your community’s needs. For rates and details, contact Lacey Shaver, Community Engagement Manager, via email at email@example.com or phone at (855) 890-7827 x106.